What is this?
Most climate calculations are one of a kind, painstakingly performed by a dedicated expert. It's a bit like a monk hand-copying old books, slowly filling up a library. We want to solve the problems of tomorrow with modern technology, using computers to do the calculations.
- Computers are fast, which lets us keep our entire library up to date with new developments.
- Computers don't make math errors, which means that our numbers will be consistently good.
- Computers calculate in the same way every time, which means that you can compare any two CarbonCloud footprints to each other.
Most hand-calculated sets of climate data are hidden behind expensive paywalls. We want to do something different, by giving you thousands of computer-calculated footprints for free!
What is included?
These footprints include everything that happens before the product leaves the farm. Transport, processing and storage that happens after the farm is not included.
CarbonCloud will update the footprints when we find better or newer data, new science, or similar improvements.
What's up with the free lunch?
CarbonCloud is a for-profit company that offers a paid climate labeling tool for food producers.
We are releasing all these footprints for free because:
- We want to help solve the climate crisis.
- We are using this data ourselves, sharing it is not that expensive.
- We hope that this will lead to more food producers picking our tool for their climate- and labeling work.
Our labeling tool allows food producers to map up their entire production processes, and provides:
- Climate labels for marketing.
- Hot spot analysis for finding emission sources, to improve the climate efficiency of the production.
- Automatically generated reports for easy and consistent communication.
If you are a food producer who wants to work with us, please get in touch using this link.